When was the last time you downloaded a dating app? Don’t be shy. This is a no judgment zone. Online dating is not a taboo thing anymore. It’s practically a lifestyle in 2018. Whether you’re looking for a quickie hook up, meeting platonic friends, or searching for the needle in the haystack. You have at one time or another downloaded a dating app.
I’m not totally against dating apps. I’ve met some pretty cool people from dating apps. Although things did not yield towards a horse and carriage, I was grateful for meeting someone new. Now occasionally on dating apps you’re going to run into the creeps, weirdos, jerks, and @&$holes. Yeah, their looking for love or something like that online.
This is not a post shaming online dating. But, more so about being careful online while in pursuit of Prince Charming or Cinderella.
I’ve tried online dating a few times and I’ve learned from the good, bad, and ugly. These are my rules for dating online… Enjoy!
1. No filters. : Filters are great for having fun and being silly. Not particularly so when you are trying to attract a potential bae. People don’t want to have to wonder if you are cute or nah without filters. Save the filters for Snapchat.
2. Smile and breathe. : Do you want to swipe right or left on the cutie with the mean mug? Probably left. First impressions are everything. People are judging you off of face value alone. If you’re not into smiling, make sure your picture is warm and inviting.
3. Share more than one picture. : Here’s the thing about online dating you have to remember. People want to see you in a variety of settings. Thus, posting one picture online of your favorite selfie is a negative. Either you’re lazy or just not that interesting. Either way people will swipe left on your one picture.
4. Be funny and clever in your greeting. : We get it. You’ve been catfish a time or two online. It’s made you a little extra salty. Cool! However, if you’re still in the dating game, it’s time to fine tune your attitude and attract the right people. Make fun of yourself and highlight your personality.
5. Be clear, specific, and intentional when swiping. : It goes without saying but we live in a hook up culture. It’s a thing, it’s just not everyone’s thing. Thus, it’s best to let the people you meet to let them know what you are looking for. You will find what you are looking for and if you don’t keep searching. Just don’t lead people on, totally not cool.
6. Be prepared to meet in person.: Once you meet someone online that you like, set up a time to meet in person. Why? Because the other person has provided their number in hopes of connecting offline. If you don’t want to meet in person, deactivate your account. No one is looking for a pen pal.
7. Be friendly and cautious. : Online dating is fun and exciting. However, it’s important to use your common sense more frequently. People can lie and pretend to be someone they are not behind the screen. People have malicious intentions at times. If you let your guard down, you could find yourself in danger. You don’t have to be a detective. But, be careful of meeting at someone’s house, request for money, and sexual escapades that make you uncomfortable.
8. Pace yourself. : It can become a bit discouraging and mentally exhausting when you are swiping left and right and not connecting with people online. Don’t feel bad or feel like it’s you. People have options and short attention spans. So you’re going to have to pace yourself while online. Besides you have real people to meet in person to mix and mingle at networking events. Don’t use the app as your only source for meeting people.
9. Don’t be unafraid to unmatch. : You’re in control! That’s right, you! If you feel like you and the person you are talking to is going down hill, unmatch. You’re not obligated to anyone. You’re dating! Find someone who mentally stimulates your mind and respects your boundaries.
10. Ask questions. : Did you know that John takes his mom to church every day? Probably not. Why? We sometimes get lost in the physical and our brains become jello every time we see this person. That’s all well and good fun. But, you need to do your homework. Don’t be afraid to ask the important questions that matter to you. This is still a stranger at the end of the day. Asking questions promotes conversation and you will learn more.
Tinder, Bumble, and POF are all great platforms to put yourself out there. However, the traditional way of meeting people in the grocery store still works just fine. In any environment, be safe and choose your best judgment. The right kind of love will find you.
What has been your dating experience online?
Leave a comment. Follow. Share.
#dating #love #funny #single #laugh #memes #tinder #relationships #meme #jokes #funnymemes #relationshipgoals #fun #instagood #datingmemes #women #followus #f4f #instafun #instafunny #follow4followback #lol #realtalk #rudememe #funnyquotes #joke #alone #singleaf #funnyvideos #singlelifestyle